CBD Carriers – MCT vs. Hemp Oil vs. Water-Based
What is the best carrier for CBD Tinctures?
The medium (carrier) your CBD Tincture & CBD Oil is in is very important. Unless you are buying Pure CBD Isolate, CBD is not the only ingredient. In fact, when you use CBD Oil & CBD Tinctures, the majority of the stuff you are putting under your tongue is not CBD. The majority of your CBD Tincture is the carrier that the CBD is in! With this said, the carrier oil should be a definite consideration when purchasing CBD. The good news is that Stirling CBD has done research on all the different carriers, and we will show you when it comes to CBD Carrier Oils, there is a clear choice between the different kinds.
Before we look at what carrier is best for CBD – no matter which kind of CBD you chose it is important to keep your CBD in a cool, area out of direct sunlight. Sunlight is the #1 way to decrease CBD shelflife. Sunlight and high temperatures break down CBD. And fast. The good news here that Stirling CBD has solved the light exposure issue with our Dark Brown Bottle, White Label, and reflective logo. Awesome – 1st issue solved as long as you do not leave on your dashboard. :)
After exposure to light, the second most crucial factor in CBD’s stability and bioavailability is the type of carrier the CBD is in. Since Stirling solved the #1 issue, let’s focus on the different kinds of carriers that can be used for CBD.
There are many carrier oils available for CBD. Unfortunately, some CBD companies take the easiest / cheapest route. Each CBD company will say its CBD carrier is the best. Once again, let’s look at the Science of CBD and see what the University Studies and Medical Papers say.
CBD Carrier Options:
There are currently three major groups of CBD Carriers.
Plant Seed Oils – These include Hemp oil, Avacado Oil and Sunflower Oil. These Oils are oil obtained by pressing the seeds of the plant. Hemp Oil comes from Hemp Seeds, Sunflower Oil comes from Sunflower Seeds, etc.
Water-Based Carriers – The actual CBD is carried in water.
MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) – Most commonly extracted from coconut oil.
At 1st glance, many might automatically say things like “Hemp Oil sounds better than MCT” or “Water Based seems the safest” because they know about Plant Seed Oils and Water Based Oils. Well the Science of CBD says that MCT is the best option.
So – we know what the options are – now let’s set the rules which each of the carriers will be judged:
What are the most important considerations when researching the best CBD carrier?
- The stability of the Carrier itself
- Will the carrier oil itself break down over time?
- How well the carrier protects the stability of CBD.
- Does the CBD carrier protect, or break down the CBD?
- Take the answers from Item #1, and subtract from Item #2 – that equals the Shelf life. Shelf life is subtractive, not additive.
- The Bioavailability of the CBD.
- Does the carrier increase or decrease the bioavailability of CBD?
- Bioavailability is the proportion of CBD your body processed compared to what you consumed.
- If you consume 25mg of CBD, and your body only absorbed 15mg, that is only a 60% absorption rate.
- Flavor & consistency
- How does the CBD taste? Is it easy to use and put under the tongue? Does the carrier get absorbed well by the body?
- Health benefits the carrier has on its own
- Is the stuff your CBD is healthy?
Considering all these factors, why is MCT the Best Carrier for CBD?
Reviewing all these factors in detail and using the Science of CBD – Stirling chose MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides ) as the best carrier for CBD because MCT protects the CBD from the air, MCT is water-soluble, tastes great, and has it’s own health benefits.
Specifically, we like MCT over other carriers, like Hemp Oil, Hemp Seed Oil, Avocado Oil, and Water Carriers for CBD. Let’s break down the findings and discover why our researchers chose MCT.
MCT Oil –
MCT Oil consists of medium-chain triglycerides that can be found in coconut oil, palm oil, or palm kernel oil. It is a very stable oil that you can store for years.
- MCT is a Water-Soluble Oil – Your body is about 60% water and about 90% of your body weight is water.
- Therefore, a water-soluble CBD carrier is easy for your body to absorb. MCT has more bioavailability than fat-soluble carriers.
- MCT Protects the CBD as well as other Fatty Oils…it is even used to stabilize baby formula!
- MCT Oil has a very stable bonding. Thus, it does not degrade quickly with Oxygen (in the air), and UV rays (of the sun).4. MCT – by itself, is healthy– US National Library of Medicine claims “Studies suggest that MCT consumption may be useful for weight management.”
- MCT is colorless and tasteless
Hemp Seed Oil/Avacado Oil/Sunflower Oils –
Hemp oil, Avacado Oil and Sunflower Oil are oil obtained by pressing the seeds of the plant.
- All these oils are Monounsaturated Fats. While better for your body than trans-fats, these oils are not water-soluble and therefore decrease CBD’s bioavailability.
- Water and Fat don’t mix well
- These compounds protect the CBD well but will actually decrease the CBD’s absorption due to being fat-soluble
- All these oils have flavor (hemp is earthy) and viscosity issues (avocado has thicker viscosity)
- Cold-pressed, unrefined hemp oil is dark to clear light green in color, with a nutty flavor
- These oils are suitable for cooking, but not for CBD
- While gaining in popularity, our research shows Water-Based Carriers for CBD are a poor option.
- According to Britannica (and common sense), Water dissolves & break down compounds. Water is one of the most corrosive compounds there is, which is why all life needs it. Don’t eat a sandwich after it’s been in water – the water has already started dissolving it. Same with CBD.
- You don’t want the water to break down the CBD and dissolve while still in the bottle. You want the CBD to be used in the body.
- Water Carriers have the shortest shelf life.
Stirling CBD uses CBD with MCT because MCT has the best combination of shelflife, bioavailability, health benefits and taste!
We like to say “MCT best for CBD”
Stirling takes pride in our research and attention to detail. That is why we think Stirling CBD has the best CBD on the market. If you want to learn more about CBD Isolate Vs. Extract – click here!
Pure, Proven, Tested CBD.
Check out our new website at https://www.stirlingcbdoil.com/